
Over the past few months, my varied international experiences finally came full circle. What initially intrigued me in Nepal four years ago was witnessing the work of a small aftercare home treating victims of sexual exploitation and trafficking. The stories that walked those halls soon became my reality and represented everything I wanted to fight against. I suddenly realized what it meant to live for more than myself.
It’s hard for people to understand why I would choose to work for free, but I wouldn’t trade the last few years for anything. I’ve held the hands of those enslaved in displacement camps in Uganda and seen their hope. I’ve witnessed the resiliency of women who were rescued from brothels in India and the Philippines. And ultimately I’ve seen conviction collide with action and powers collide with service to produce lasting change.
In the last six months, I have been working as a consultant for International Justice Mission (IJM) in Cebu, Philippines. IJM is a human rights agency that secures justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local governments to ensure victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to strengthen the community and civic factors that promote functioning justice systems.
After girls are rescued, they are placed in aftercare facilities for a period of adjustment before they are integrated back into their communities. Unfortunately, the problem doesn’t end there. Once they are released from aftercare, they are placed in a world without any type of financial support. Poverty-stricken and desperately seeking work, the risk of following another phony job prospect back into captivity is incredibly real.
This is where my job comes in. I have been hired by IJM to continue my work with the Economic Self-Sufficiency and Reintegration (ESSR) program for the next six months. The ESSR program is set up to provide various employment and vocational training opportunities for IJM clients – rescued victims of forced prostitution and sexual exploitation. Following the implementation of a Job Readiness training program in the partner shelters, I hope to secure employment for these clients through the contacts I’ve created with local businesses and vocational trainers. I believe that if survivors of abuse are given professional skills training and sustainable vocational opportunities, they can achieve financial independence and reintegrate into society successfully and peacefully.
Unfortunately, I cannot do this alone. I desperately need your emotional support and financial assistance. IJM is a non-profit organization that depends largely on individual donations. While I do realize that I made the decision to embark on this journey, I humbly ask for your financial support. This is a volunteer position and I will be responsible for all of the costs associated with the assignment. My fundraising goal for working in Cebu, Philippines for seven months totals $11,382. This figure from IJM is an estimate based on current exchange rates and cost of living. I intend to live on a strict budget while in the Philippines. Please know that any contribution will be well received, as I know many are in hard economic times. If you are interested in supporting me monthly, here is how: http://www.ijm.org/getinvolved/internshipsupport
My experiences abroad have rewoven my worldview and brought real world issues to the forefront of my mind. Using these memories and personal stories as motivation, I’m left with strengthened convictions and a new belief in my generation’s desire to remedy injustice. The ESSR project is already working in the lives of many, and I would be honored if you were willing to support me in helping it work for many more.
You are receiving this because I greatly value your friendship and the role you’ve played in my life. I intend to regularly update my blog and welcome any personal emails. I will be in the country until January 7, 2010 and would love to discuss my journey with you more in person.
No comments:
Post a Comment